Chic Tool Storage

Friday, May 27, 2011

Who says tools need to be housed in hoe-hum masculine metal drawers? NOT I

I recently saw this post on Little Green Notebook about her tiny NY apartment and tool storage dilemma. She posted pictures of a Mary McDonald's designer solution for office file storage.

Commenting on how this could be applied to tool storage. Um hello BRILLIANT! Plus I just so happened to be in need of some new tool storage solutions.
 This just wasn't cutting it anymore, but I mean hay at least it was labeled.

So off to the DI I went. Were I found this beauty for 8 whole bucks.
I also picked up a can of Rustoleum white gloss spray paint. In the past I used Krylon but I found that it creates these weird crackle spots when used on metal. HIGHLY ANNOYING. Wallpaper paste, 320 grit sandpaper and 1 yard of this gorgeous Thibaut wallpaper from Walls on 700 East in Salt Lake. 
They have amazing wallpaper and this one just happen to be on their sold by the yard wall, it was $10. Then I lightly sanded the surface of the metal storage cabinet and covered it with a few coats of spray paint.
Notice I didn't really spray the front of the cabinet because it will be covered. Then I measured twice and cut once all the little pieces to fit the front of the filing cabinet.

AND...

Well Hello there Beautiful

Yep I'm pretty excited about it. Plus it fits perfect in my teeny tiny closet. Now my cute purple tool bag that I take on the job will have a lovely little friend.
Seriously, Why don't they sell this at Home Depot. I would totally buy this, and just to be clear I know I'm not the only one out there who has asked for a pink tool chest at the store only to have the staff stare at me in disbelief. Listen you sell pink work gloves. What do you think I'm going to store my matching tools in? So if your in the market for some chic storage for under $20 give this a try. I mean it could house anything, extra fabric, scrapbooking supplies, paint.... GOOD LUCK!




xoxo,
Photobucket

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I LOVE these ideas! I too, have asked people at home depot or lowes for pink stuff...blank stares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS WONDERFUL.I HAVE JUST DONE SOME REMODELING AND HAVE AN OLD FILE CABINET THAT'S BROWN AND I COULD SHABBY CHIC IT UP BY DOING THIS.THANK YOU VERY PRETTY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same purple "tool box!" It's purpleness was what really got me!

    ReplyDelete

Evolve Fitness

Tigan Ink Creative

Instagram